Tuesday, August 23, 2022

1993-1994 SkyBox Premium Basketball

93-94 SkyBox Premium:  While I admire SkyBox adding a Premium option I have to admit that other than it saying it is premium, in hand I really don't get the feel this set is a "premium" set.  We'll kick it off with The Mailman and this dude really did deliver.  Nineteen seasons averaging 25 points per game.  Not everyone liked this guy but I did at a distance.  Would have been nice to see him and John Stockton bring the Jazz a title but it wasn't to be...thank you Michael Jordan and crew.
I've had better pulls in packs but this was still really fun.  The design is ok but a little less white would have been nice. Seems like they could have gone a different direction there.  All three of these guys were great to watch.  None are Hall of Famers but you'd want all three on your team.  Price and Smith would be killing teams at the arc in today's game.
The backs were okay with a different photo that was usually a head shot.  John Paxon of those Bulls who kept Utah from ever getting a title.  He actually retired in '94 and wasn't on the Bulls teams that beat the Jazz in back-to-back NBA Finals.  Steve Kerr basically took his roll with the team.
Charles Oakley was a beast and backed down to no one.  Many say his trade from the Bulls to the Knicks for Bill Cartwright helped pave the way for the first of Chicago's championships.  I wasn't that high on Bill so that's always a head scratcher to me.  It's said enough so I know it is a thing but still.  Love Detlef Schrempf who is an all-time favorite of mine and occasional Parks and Recreation star.  I really enjoy going down memory lane with these packs.  I watched even more NBA back then than I do today.

BREAKDOWN:
12 – Total Cards
1 – NBA on NBC


12 comments:

  1. Actually have fond memories of this set, as it was my first year collecting basketball cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would buy plenty of packs of this if they were on the shelf.

      Delete
  2. I just like "old school" basketball cards better than today's cards. By the way, remind me to tell you something when we talk a trade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me remember anything? You should know better. ;)

      Delete
  3. Fun fact: In my Customer Service days, I provided tech support for an estate planning program. One of our customers sent me a client's case for review. The client's name...Detlef Schrempf.

    I was a big fan of that set...thanks for showing off the cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude that is awesome. I'd pass out when I found that out.

      Delete
  4. Oakley was the man! I used to try to model my game after him in middle school and try to be tough and get rebounds as a power forward. Wish he would’ve got a title with the Knicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was good and deserved all the praise he got. You loved seeing him in the game. It was gonna get real really quick.

      Delete
  5. I did not like this design as a kid. It felt like a big letdown after the previous three years worth of cool designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can feel ya. Not one of the better offerings.

      Delete
  6. I finally completed this set a couple of years ago. It's not a favorite of mine but it's not horrible. Watch out for bricking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bricking bad! And congrats on completing the set. And agree. SkyBox could have done better here for sure.

      Delete