Tuesday, August 9, 2022

1999 Inkworks Planet of the Apes Archives

1999 Planet of the Apes Archives: I'm a big fan of the Planet of the Apes including both the original movie series and the latest iteration.  A few of the early movies weren't that good but still a fun memory from my childhood.  They'd pop on TV from time to time and it made my week.  This is an iconic scene but I wish they had used a different shot from the scene.
Fun to see some of the renderings of what they came up with in initial designs for movies.  Each of the first two movies get 18 cards a piece while the final three have nine each in this set.
The base set is 90 cards.   I didn't pull any inserts but some of these are labeled like subsets like this In Production card.  I like the backs.  Decent color, design and write-up.  Nova...I may not remember that much about Beneath the Planet of the Apes but I remember Linda Harrison as Nova...for obvious reasons.  Autographs are possible as well but neither Charlton Heston nor Roddy McDowall were amongst those.
I admit that my memories of the sequels has waned as I don't watch those anymore.  They just aren't as good or do I have a real connection to them.  I saw the original many more times and I remember the series more than the sequels.  And when I see parts of the sequels it makes me in no hurry to rewatch them.  But these cards are still fun. I also enjoy the modern day takes on this franchise.
BREAKDOWN:
8 - Total Cards


 

4 comments:

  1. I liked the first two films, but didn't care much for the other three. I've still yet to see any of the television series, and have absolutely no interest in the modern films. Oh, and Linda Harrison... yeah :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any recent history in seeing the TV series. I'd be careful how it stands up now to how my young self enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. I thought I had seen all of the films, but then I saw that final card. Don't remember seeing that scene before. Although I wouldn't consider myself a POTA superfan... I like the movies and the whole premise of the movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yeah that last card. even if you haven't seen that movie just seeing that card makes you think they may have jumped the shark there.

      Delete