Tuesday, March 23, 2021

1990-1991 Hoops All-Star Subset

 1990-1991 Hoops Basketball: I love all-star games and all-star game cards so I've picked off some of these sets over time.  This is a favorite as the Hoops set itself was pretty cool and this all-star subset had a gold border, vice the silver for base cards, which gave it a cool vibe to me.  The best is that it comes with actual all-star game photos.  Win!  We'll kick it off with the man, the myth, the GOAT...

As is with most of these sets they are loaded with greats of the game. Sir Charles and Larry "Legend" are two of the many that stand out from this era though Bird was nearing the end of his career.  Not to be left out, Joe Dumars is a Hall of Famer many don't think about but was so good back in the day and would have been a great "3 and D" guy today.  Don't sleep on him.
Three more Hall of Famers?  Sure.  There ya go.  
And three more... This set was well under $5 before the recent price escalation but was still under $9 with shipping when I picked this one up earlier this month.  Though most sets of this are going for more right now, if you're patient there are deals to be found.
I really like the photo of these two coaching greats together. You can only imagine how fun conversations get between coaches behind closed doors. 
Nique!  Always that much more fun when you're all-time favorite player is in the set.
Magic was the MVP of the game which the West won 130-113.
Three more greats.  Lever was so good but so many fans today will never know that.  Fat Lever averaged eight or more rebounds a season for four years and averaged nine rebounds for two of those years while averaging 6.2 assists for his career.  An injury at the age of 30 effectively ended an excellent career playing only 116 more games.  His #12 was retired by the Denver Nuggets in 2017.
And the backs?  Freaking awesome.  They give you the player's all-star game stats from each all-star game he played in, a color logo and small write-up.  Love it.
This is a 26 card set.  Of the 27 players and coaches all but five players are in the Hall of Fame.  Wow.  So glad I picked this up.  I love the NBA and all these guys were a huge part of my growth as fan of the sport.  We'll finish off this post with Tom Chambers whom I'm a big fan of.




BREAKDOWN:

26 – Total Cards

1 – Checklist 



10 comments:

  1. This was a cool subset. I agree with you that the backs of the cards are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nowadays the backs would probably just be a paragraph but to have all-star game stats is amazing. Won't see that today.

      Delete
  2. This is my third favorite NBA set ever. Love the design. I just scanned and uploaded my copies of the Rodman and Parish cards yesterday.

    There are two versions of the coach card. They originally forgot to put the card number on it and corrected it. Neither version is particularly rare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. I'll have to see which one I have. It is a great set and so much fun going back in time with these players.

      Delete
  3. Those cards bring back memories from my younger days. So many great players in one game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely one of the great things about this set.

      Delete
  4. Solid subset... from one of my favorite eras of basketball.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The AS cards were always my least favorite part of sets from the early 90's, that being said, I still have a lot of nostalgia for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not for everyone so I get it. But they are fun to look back at.

      Delete