Sunday, April 7, 2024

1990 Pro Set Football (4 Packs)

1990 Pro Set:  One of the boxes I mentioned Friday was 1990 Pro Set football.  Great cards and lots of fun.  Could have easily gone with L.T. or someone else to kick it off but I'll go with Art Monk.  Amazing receiver who won three Super Bowls with Washington.
This design is missing a logo but otherwise I like how clean it is and the NFL logo.  The photo gets to shine here so it's a win.  Always a fan of the Cowboy blue jerseys.  All three of these are nice photos of the Hall of Famers and that Rickey Jackson card really stands out.
The inclusion of coaches is great and I hit the jackpot here.  Jerry Glanville was always fun.
Some defensive standouts of the era.  The Kevin Greene photo is really nice.

Super Bowl Collectibles inserts.  These are cool.  The art and the notes from the game work for me.
A couple of really good receivers and a Randall Cunningham appearance as well.  Some Creamsicle greatness on that Ervin Randle card.
League Leader, Award Winner, and Hall of Fame subset cards.  Nice Thurman Thomas card and who doesn't like a photo of Jack Lambert where he looks like he's about to throw a punch?
Jerry Ball was a big man...but a very good big man (3X Pro Bowl/1X All-Pro).
Does it get better than actual photos from the Pro Bowl?  Love 'em!  Greg Kragen is open...
Look at those sack numbers!  Wow.  These cards are great fun.  I'll keep showing them off over time.  I have another 90s box of football I'll start showing off next Sunday.

BREAKDOWN:
60 – Total Cards
5 – Coach
4 – Pro Bowl
4 – Super Bowl Collectibles
2 – League Leader
1 – Award Winner
1 – Hall of Fame Selection



14 comments:

  1. Jim Kelly on the Rickey Jackson card. Phil Simms on the Kevin Greene card. Jerome Brown on the Gerald Riggs card. Carl Banks and Sean Landeta on the Bill Parcells card. Steve Beurlein on the LT card.

    Anyway, gotta vote for Eagles legend Jerome Brown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't even catch Jerome brown. But plenty of background catches on these cards.

      Delete
  2. Simple, colorful, and attractive design... matched with some solid action shots. Can't ask much more than that from a card company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Compare this to Panini where it seems every player is always by himself, I'd take these any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great call. It is frustrating when you see nice photos like these.

      Delete
  4. Love this set, so many good childhood memories. I was an Art Monk fan back in the day and still collect his cards on occasion.

    If I could get my hands on some packs or a box without paying for shipping, I'd take a shot at building this set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's worth collecting. So good. I haven't looked yet to see how close to a set I am. I'm curious myself.

      Delete
  5. Pro Set did a wonderful job with this set. This reminds me that I've got a ton of '90 Pro Set sample packs (they were an SGA from a Raiders game at the LA Coliseum) that I still need to bust open and input into my collection on TCDb. Plus I still have a sealed box of 1990 Pro Set Series II that I need to bust too. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm considering a Series II box. These have been so much fun.

      Delete
  6. The Jack Lambert is great but what about the Lawrence Taylor card. He looks as if he is going to flatten that quarterback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume that is Steve Beuerlein who's about to have a bad day.

      Delete
  7. 1990 Pro Set is pretty much the dregs of the junk wax era, and I still have thousands of cards from it that I don't know what to do with. But I really enjoyed the photography on the cards back in the day and there's nothing like that these days in any sport, really. I was never much of a football collector, but I bought boxes of it back in the day because they tended to be around $5-$10.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They really aren't worth the paper they're printed on. I get it but it is a fun trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete