Friday, April 5, 2024

1991 Fleer Baseball (4 Packs)

1991 Fleer:  Picked up a box of these off eBay along with two 90s football boxes and I'll start showing them all off.  Old wax is always fun.  We'll kick it off with Nolan Ryan.  The man was so dominant for so long.  Amazing career.
This is a set I always think I shouldn't like...but I kinda do.  Those super bright yellow borders.  No logo. Centering tends to be off.  But I kinda do.  A few of the best from the era here.  Willie Wilson was a great switch-hitter (.285 career) and of course a speedster (668 steals).  Always a favorite of mine.
Some catcher love here.  Technically the Mike Hartley card isn't about the catcher, but the catcher steals the show in my opinion.  Looks like he just told Hartley something he didn't want to hear.
The backs are good.  We get a second photo, the team logo we're missing on the front, and career stats, including minor league stats in some cases.
Love Fleer's stickers in these sets.  The backs had the team's career stat leaders.  I really enjoy looking at those.  Thank you Fleer.
Nice Blauser photo and a couple of other prominent players from the 90s.  Van Slyke was part of a trade from the Cardinals to Pittsburgh that featured Tony Pena going to St. Louis.
That Mike Greenwell is a Fleer Pro Visions card.  I like the art.  I also like the Clark and Guerrero photos.  These packs are fun.  I apologize if the glare from the cards got to your eyes.
BREAKDOWN:
60 – Total Cards
4 – Stickers
1 – Checklist
1 – Pro-Visions



10 comments:

  1. The 1991 Fleer were not a favorite of mine while growing up but I do have to say I like that Nolan Ryan card. I always enjoyed that Fleer put stickers in their packs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like there are more fans than I was expecting.

      Delete
  2. I'll never tire of seeing the Greenwell card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Voting for Greenwell and the Green Monster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a cool looking card. Wish they had done more of those and they were easier to pull.

      Delete
  4. I've really grown to appreciate this set over the years. It has some stellar photography. John over at Johnny's Trading Spot hooked me up with two boxes of this stuff a few years ago. I was hoping to build a complete set... but collation was pretty bad. It was still a really fun break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't feel like I had collation issues as a whole but definitely duplicates. Let me know if there is anything specific you are looking for and maybe I can help out.

      Delete
  5. I remember these coming out and not liking them at all. I picked up an Oakland Athletics team set plus a few packs but that was pretty much it. Canseco looks like a midget in his card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get it when folks say they don't like this set. I think I shouldn't either. LOL

      Delete