Tuesday, July 16, 2024

2023-2024 Contenders Basketball Blaster with Autograph

23-24 Contenders:  We'll kick it off with Joel Embiid who's currently getting ready for the Olympics with the rest of Team USA.  Another disappointing season for him (injuries) and the 76ers (early playoff exit) but Embiid is really one of the best in the league when healthy.  Philadelphia added Paul George, Caleb Martin, Eric Gordon and Kyle Lowry this offseason.  I'm not saying that puts them at Boston or New York's level but I could easily see them as the #3 seed in the Eastern Conference next season assuming good health.
This is my first look at this year's Contenders set and I like it more than 2022-2023 Contenders.  This year there's more color and the arrangement of information on the card fronts isn't as compact.  I know many aren't as big a fan of the Contenders blueprint but it works for me.
Rookie offerings as well.  That Taylor Hendricks is a Red Parallel.  Scoot Henderson was the #3 overall pick to Portland but stuggled last season.  He did show more promise in the second half of the season.  The Trail Blazers have a logjam at guard and might still make a move prior to the season.
Ricky Council IV didn't turn any heads in Philly but did have a solid rookie campaign.  I like the Game Night Tickets.  Different enough to add some good variety.  I really like the Rookie Stallions inserts.  The Warriors drafted well getting Brandin Podziemski in the first round of last year's draft.
The backs look pretty good.  Plenty of color and the stats we're used to.  As a reminder the SEC/ROW/SEAT are the players weight, height and jersey number respectively.
Pretty good checklist for the Historic Draft Class inserts.  I'm not a Paul Pierce guy but it's always fun pulling retired greats.
Fun box of cards.  I purchased a box of fat packs so you'll see more of these.  We'll end it with some favorite players of mine.  That Sabonis is a Bronze Parallel.
BREAKDOWN:
40 – Total Cards
7 – RC
2 – Game Night Ticket
1 – Draft Class
1 – Red Parallel
1 – Retired Great
1 – Bronze Parallel
1 – Rookie Stallions
1 – Historic Draft Class
1 – Rookie Ticket Autograph




4 comments:

  1. Voting for Embid.
    More legible auto than most.
    Nit picking, but Lowry was a re-sign. He went to Philly during last season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot he was released by Charlotte and signed with Philly. Appreciate the correct information. I like the signature as well including leaving out his last name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a few years since I watched NBA games on a regular basis. Saw that Embiid wore those leggings... and started looking to see if other players did as well. Based on your post, it seems like almost half of the players do. Interesting trend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many do wear them. I'm not a fan of the look but it doesn't effect me one way or the other.

      Delete