Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Random Wax: 1991-1992 SkyBox Basketball - 3 Packs

91-92 Skybox:  I've been in the mood for a box of these for some time and finally pulled the trigger.  I wasn't disappointed.  I'll share these over time similar to how I've been doing the 90-91 SkyBox cards. We'll kick it off with Michael Jordan.  Enough said about this legend.  I pulled this card in the first pack but didn't get the base MJ card until my next to last pack in the box. 
Tons of great memories with these cards.  I grew up on the NBA the beginning of the 80s and this set and players were right in my wheelhouse as we rolled into the 90s.  I will say the design isn't something I'd normally go for, but this works for me.  I'm not sure I was as high on it when it came out, but I really like this set now.
Kendall Gill and Derrick Coleman went on to have solid careers in the NBA.  I like the All-Rookie Team card designs and as an inclusion in the set.  There were Stay in School! inserts as well.
These Stats (League Leaders) cards are great.  We don't see them anymore in NBA sets for some reason.   On these we even get a write-up accompanying the stats.
The backs are classics with the photos mirroring what they did with the previous design.  Jim Peterson looks like he's a singer not a basketball player.
The photos overall are good, and I love they included defenders in some of the photos.
Run TMC were fun.  That 82-83 Nuggets team that is mentioned also had David Thompson playing for them in what would be his last season in Denver.
More Stats cards.  Not always stats we think of but fun nonetheless anyway.
We'll end it with favorites of mine.  Eddie Johnson and Buck Williams are top 10 all-time for me while Jack Sikma is right outside that group.  So many great memories and a great set.  I'll enjoy the heck out of sharing these.

 BREAKDOWN:
45 – Total Cards
3 – Stats
2 – Checklist
2 – All-Rookie Team
1 – Stay in School!



6 comments:

  1. Saw a complete set in a binder at the flea market a while back for $10. At the time I passed it up because I just don't have the space... but now I'm kicking myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have the same thought. It's such a cool set and brings back great memories for me. But it is huge lol

      Delete
    2. I just finished collating and I did get a complete set. I was sweating it a few times. Now I really want a box of series 2 which has the Barcelona Olympic cards but those boxes are going for between $140-$160.

      Delete
    3. Boxes of series 2 are going for $140 to $160? That's insane.

      Delete