Sunday, August 18, 2024

Random Wax: 1991 Pro Set Football Series 1 4 Packs

1991 Pro Set:  This Joe Montana NFC All-Pro card is a great way to start.  I love this subset and I think the art here is great.  I didn't care for him back in the day as he carved up the Falcons every season but dang was he great.  His decision making and accuracy would make him a great QB in today's offenses.  
Another solid design from Pro Set, it did lack a team logo.  Still, it's a classic and has so many great players.
Award Winners, 1990 Replay and Referee cards.  Jerry Markbreit really stands out in my mind as an NFL official.  Not the only one that stands out in the set but he's a step above the rest.
Some kicker and horizontal love.  Washington would win the 1991 Super Bowl.
Fun Burt Grossman photo.  Bruce Armstrong was a great tackle.
Not a lot of World League player or coach names stand out but they were a fun league.
Jerry Glanville was just fun, if not a good head coach while George Seifert did a good job inheriting a great team - he didn't screw it up.  Wayne Fontes actually took the Lions to the playoffs four times (one playoff win) in his nine seasons with Detroit but was never a head coach again.
These are all Dallas Public Service Announcement cards even though Troy Aikman is the only Dallas player in the set.
More NFC All-Pro and art greatness.
I really like Jim Everett but I'm not really sure why.  At least this Super Bowl Replay card was a positive for Buffalo in the game.  Still, the set is hard to look at.
BREAKDOWN:
60 – Total Cards
5 – Officials
4 – Coaches
4 – All-NFC Team
4 – World League
3 – Dallas Public Service Announcement
2 – 1990 Replay
1 - Milestone
1 – Award Winner
1 – Super Bowl XXV Replay


8 comments:

  1. 1991 Pro Set was a set that I enjoyed picking up cards for when I was younger; I just wish I had held onto them for now. I have been looking for the Dallas Police Service Announcement cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little bit of everything in those packs. Fun rips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pro Set put out some truly awesome sets. Love the NFL officials cards (but where's Ed Hochuli?)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Voting for the Rice art card.

    I remember Everett being popular with teen-age girls.

    ReplyDelete