Sunday, February 6, 2022

2021-2022 Hoops Basketball Blaster with Relic

 2021-2022 Hoops: I always look forward to Hoops basketball.  It's usually fun, has good photos and nice inserts.  I'll kick this off with Anthony Edwards whom I'm a big fan of.  He is a former Georgia Bulldog and at 20 years old still has a lot of his career ahead of him.  He's averaging 22, 5, and 3 this year while shooting 36% from long range for the Timberwolves.
I picked up four blasters and this one had my best pull.  With 88 cards per box your bound to get decent cards but some boxes stood out more than others. Price is up from last year.  These were almost $28 a piece.
Not a bad design.  It's simple.  Nice sized logo.  My only complaint is the foil used for the players name which makes it hard to read sometimes and you have to do the card tilt to see it well enough.
Lights Camera Action is always a favorite of mine. Pulling a Trae Young was a bonus.  He's an all-star game starter this year and it's well deserved.  He's shooting better from long range this year and a great scorer and creator.  He still takes those shots that make you yell "noooo" at the TV but then yell "wow" when it goes in.
You'll get one rookie per pack (11 packs per box).  Michigan alum Franz Wagner is tied with #1 pick Cade Cunningham in scoring amongst rookies at 15.8 ppg.
Some insert fun.  The jury is still out on the Skyview inserts.  Frequent flyers is okay but I'd be fine with that ticket being smaller.  I'm a big fan of the Slam inserts.  These are fun and also include retired greats.
A blue and purple parallel as well as an insert highlighting rookies which I like.
The base set is 270 cards and broken up into three subsets - Base, Rookies and Tribute.  I didn't pull any tribute cards from any of my blasters.  
Pulled this Rise N Shine relic of Usman Garuba who is only getting about seven minutes court time with the Rockets.  The base card backs are that generic black and white which is always boring but I will say I like the addition of the head and shoulders in the corner.  Not saying it makes it an outstanding card back but that with a few of the other design elements here make this one of the better Hoops backs we seen in years.
Really glad to have found these in the wild.  It can still be a little hit and miss finding new releases.  Especially with basketball cards but I'm seeing a lot more cards hanging around on shelves nowadays which is a breath of fresh air.  Fun cards and box.


BREAKDOWN:
88 – Total Cards
12 – RC
3 – Blue Parallel
2 – Frequent Flyers
2 – Lights Camera Action
1 - Slam
1 – Skyview
1 – Class of 2021
1 – Purple Parallel
1 – Rise N Shine Relic


11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thought they did well on many photos I've seen so far. Edwards looked good skying to the hoop.

      Delete
  2. Those are some nice looking cards and I am not always a fan of modern basketball cards. I may have to pick up some if I come across them in the stores. The Lebron card is a nice vintage shot of him, and the Tatum is a favorite since he was a Dukie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had an extra base Lebron so I through him in your pile.

      Delete
  3. Love the camera angle on that Lebron card! And the Lights, Camera, Action photograph is nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The look on LeBron's face is also classic LeBron. I like the Butler LCA photo as well.

      Delete
  4. Look at all those shots with empty stands. Strange but neat at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely noticed that too. But it's what the NBA season was. Not fun but we'll always look back at cards like these and go...oh yeah.

      Delete
  5. Let me look for dupes. Maybe I can help out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the pics! Hopefully I can come across some in the wild but bummer about the increased blaster box price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a bummer. Hoops is still low end amongst the basketball brands though. Plenty of cards for your money. Keeps me excited about seeing them in the wild.

      Delete