Friday, May 6, 2022

2021 Topps Big League Baseball Blaster

2021 Topps Big League:  I'm a big fan of cheap cards and Big League falls right into that category.  Doesn't mean their design is always a hit.  This year's is growing on me.  This is my first box or pack and at first I wasn't sold at all.
The base checklist is good sized at 300 cards with 55 of those coming in subsets.  A good size to ensure you can get some stars while also pulling plenty of complimentary and young players.  These three help any pull with Altuve and Moline being PC guys for me.  Altuve is a blue parallel.
I really like the backs.  Nice color, not too hard to read and lots of information.  Some how I never found any of the 2020 Big League Baseball.
Plenty of young players.  Cardboard Connection stated these have a 80s/90s vibe to them and I won't argue that.
Decent mix of inserts.  I like the colors and design on the Defensive Wizards cards.  The Art of the Game cards have some hit or miss art but I like the inclusion here.  Wanted is a pretty good looking card as well.
League Leaders are always good.  Another fun way to look at top players while also reminding us who was best at their craft that season.  I'm always surprised when I look back.  "Oh yeah that guy did well..."
Looking at the League Leaders and Award Winner cards are good at reminding you this set is a year late in coming out.  Crazy.  Souvenir inserts are okay but it seems like something is missing.  Highlights are good as well.
These cards are not extremely thin like some past Big League sets.  Decent sized card stock.  That Arozarena is a Black & White parallel #/50. 

One of my orange parallels comes in the form of a Stephen Strasburg card.
Can't tell you how many times I had to remind myself these represent the 2020 season like when I read the back of this Freddie Freeman Award Winner.  A fun box of cards that had a nice pull and decent variety.  I'll grab more of these if I see them.

BREAKDOWN:
105 – Total Cards
20 – RC
10 – Orange Parallel
6 – League Leaders
5 – Blue Parallel
5 – Award Winners
3 – Art of the Game
3 – Defensive Wizards
2 – Wanted
2 – Souvenirs
2 - Highlights
1 – Black & White Parallel #/50



8 comments:

  1. This base card design is growing on me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say this set has drawn me in from the first pack of the first blaster box that I bought. I am will defintely be getting more of these cards. In my first blaster, I pulled a /15 card. I am not building the base set, but working on the Defensive Wizards, Art of the Game, and Wanted inserts. Any chance you get one of the packs with Francisco Lindor? Send me your list of needs when you have time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't seen Lindor yet but any Indians will be in your stack.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for showing off the cards!

    ReplyDelete