Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Random Wax: 1991-1992 Hoops Basketball

 91-92 Hoops Basketball: We'll kick of this pack with The Admiral...and yes Dennis Rodman, but David Robinson is why I chose this card.  He was so good. No great!  And fun to watch.  And he was in the Navy.  Didn't start his career until age 24.  And one of those guys everyone, except his opponents, liked.  And yes Rodman was good too...
Plenty of really good players in this pack.  All three of these guys were key players on their teams.  Maybe not the #1 or #2 guys but key to the success they had.
Some All-Star game, insert and coach love here.  All good cards.  Lenny Wilkins a Hall of Fame player and an excellent coach.  He won a title coaching the 78-79 SuperSonics.
Love All-Star cards and those with in game or actual jersey photos taking them to another level.  Great job here with a team photo though it is actually the back of the Chris Ford card shown off earlier.  A photo like this deserves to be on the front of its own card.  I was able to name all the players except one...Hersey Hawkins.  My bad as he is a player I've always liked and he does have a distinctive nose.
Believe it or not I bought a box of this for $5 at a card show in 2015.  Yeah.  I mean really.  $5!  YEAH!  My post on the box isn't anything to write home about but it can be seen here.
A fun back of a card.  I'm sure few who saw the back of this card or even saw him play his rookie season thought he'd have the Hall of Fame career he did.  He also won a championship late in his career with Miami.  Nice pack and lots of fun!

BREAKDOWN:
15 – Total Cards
2 – Coach
1 – All-Star
1 – Inside Stuff
1 – League Leaders


10 comments:

  1. You always find the basketball cards that I like; early 1990s cards. That All Star team picture is very impressive to say the least. It was an honor to watch Wilkins coach when he was in Cleveland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Cleveland teams were really good and he was a big reason for it.

      Delete
  2. Two of my favorite players in one pack. Byron was my childhood favorite... as I grew up practicing his baseline jumper. And I loved The Glove too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott was an unsung hero of those Lakers teams. Man he could shoot and as soon as you mentioned his baseline jumper I could see it in my head.

      Delete
  3. Loved this set as well, thanks for the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nance won the NBA's first dunk contest, unfortunately.

    Sixers had Barkley, Hawkins, and Johnny Dawkins and were poised to make a run but then Dawkins blew out his knee.

    6'4", 190. Dang. Not a lot of steak in his diet.

    Kareem didn't play for UCLA. Lew Alcindor did.

    Payton wins it.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always liked Nance so no complaints from me. Can't go wrong picking Gary Payton.

      Delete
  5. This set doesn't get a lot of love these days, but I still dig it quite a bit. It doesn't hurt too that it still looks better than anything that's been released in the last 20 or so years.

    ReplyDelete