Sunday, September 4, 2022

Random Wax: 2017 Donruss NASCAR Blaster

2017 Donruss NASCAR:  The NASCAR playoffs start today in Darlington, SC.  This guy will be in the TV booth.  He was crazy popular as a driver and still is off the track.  He does a great job with his Dirty Mo Media TV show and podcasts.  Great listen for fans.
DennyHamlin is in the playoffs while Martin Truex Jr., former champion, missed the playoffs for the first time in a long time.
Blaney has become one of the better drivers in the sport though he hasn't won a race this season.  Bubba Wallace had a good string of races at the end of the regular season to finish in the top 20.
Kyle's my guy.  He has plenty of fans but many more detractors.  He's cranky, says what he means and is in a contract year.  I have a feeling he may have worn out his welcome at Joe Gibbs Racing and will be taking his talents elsewhere next year.  This year was not one of his better years but he's in the playoffs and anything can happen now.
None of these three are still in racing.  Kayne was a very popular driver, though maybe more with the lady folks, but just didn't have the same luck on the track.
David Pearson, NASCAR great, base card and his Cracked Ice parallel.
Edwards was one of the top drivers during his time in the sport and retired after the 2016 season.
My relic is a Cole Custer who is in his third full season but is struggling to find the same success he had in his first season when he finished 16th in the standings.
I like the double car photos on these.  Drivers have multiple sponsors and it's good to see their cars in all the different paint schemes.  Chase Elliott will be one of the guys I'm rooting for in the playoffs as I'm a big fan and he's the favorite after having a really good regular season.

BREAKDOWN:
60 – Total Cards
17 – Car Shots
2 – Call to the Hall
1 – Race Kings
1 – Rated Rookie
1 – Pole Position
1 – Blue Foil #/299
1 – Retro Relics 1984
1 – Cracked Ice #/999
1 – 1984 Retro Variation
1 – Base Nickname Variation




4 comments:

  1. Great looking box of cards. I am not sure who the lady driver is that is the rated rookie but I will have to find it for my female driver collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I had heard her name but I can't promise that.

      Delete
  2. A while back I read an article (or maybe a blog post) about Pearson that motivated me to go out and buy his autograph. Never heard of the guy up until that point, but now I know of his legacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool. Definitely a legend in the sport.

      Delete