Friday, September 16, 2022

Random Wax: 2021 Topps Archives Blaster

2021 Topps Archives:  A blaster I picked up last year but finally getting around to posting.  We'll kick off this box with three-time Cy Young award winner Max Scherzer.  Hard to find many pitchers at this point you would say are as good as this guy.  I don't want to give him too many props because he's currently on the New York Mets who are battling Atlanta in the N.L. East.  I may not root for this guy right now but I'm not sure I'd ever bet against him.
The mix of current and modern players and designs makes this a favorite brand of mine year in and year out.  This '62 design is fun seeing these modern greats on it.
The backs are just as fun as this '62 Joe Morgan shows.  As it also shows just how good he was.
Here we have two 2091 designs and a Mike Trout Floating Head.  These aren't my favorite designs but I won't complain about the star power.
Strasburg is once again battling injuries but was a huge part of that 2019 World Series Champion Nationals team in 2019 picking up the World Series MVP in the process.
I'm a huge fan of the Topps 2011 design so I really dig these cards.
Aaron Judge may well be the A.L. MVP this year with the monster year he is having at the plate.
Fun to look back at legendary careers like Gary Carter's.
I'm not sure Adrian Beltre gets enough love but this '83 design does him proud.  Good look. Bazooka Shining Star Andrew Vaughn is having an excellent year for the Chicago White Sox who have found a second wind of late.
Just wow...
This 2001 design isn't one I remember from back in the day but Deion makes it memorable. That was bad I know.  Fun box of cards.  We'll end it with this Poster insert showcasing black aces.  Plenty of greatness on this card.


BREAKDOWN:
56 – Total Cards
20 – Retired Greats
15 – RC
10 – 1962
10 - 1983
9 - 2001
6 – 1957
6 - 2011
5 – 1973
4 – 1991
3 – 2091
3 – 1989 Topps Big Foil
1 – Floating Heads
1 – Movie Poster
1 – Bazooka Shining Stars (1:6)


8 comments:

  1. I love seeing Mattingly in the 2011 design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scherzer wins it.

    The Black Aces card is cool, just not sure Willis belongs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Black Aces card is sweet! So is the Ruth. Nice box.

    P.S. I'll be rooting for the Braves again this post season (assuming the Padres don't make it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear. I'm hoping the Pads can get in. They're trying to be better just some things haven't worked. Good luck.

      Delete
  4. The 2091 cards threw everyone for a loop since they were part of the set and not an insert set. Thanks for showing off the cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm okay with the concept but yeah it was different how they handled them.

      Delete