Friday, November 4, 2022

1994 Ted Williams Roger Staubach's NFL (3 Packs)

1994 Roger Staubach NFL:   I picked up a pack lot of these recently and I'll show them off three packs at a time.  These are fun cards that for the most part show off legends of days past which is great.  We'll kick it off with Fran Tarkenton who was born in the wrong era.  He's one of the first running quarterbacks, before it was a thing, and took the Vikings to three Super Bowls in his career.  So fun to watch.  He rushed for 3674 yards in his career which is still good for 7th all-time amongst QBs.
I like the design.  It's simple with a nice full color photo and a subdued photo in the background.  Again the appeal here is seeing retired greats on new cardboard.  It's awesome.  The majority aren't Hall of Famers but if you grew up watching these players, like I did, you're stoked to see them here.  Ken Anderson and Billy "White Shoes" Johnson are two of the guys I was excited to find in the set and I definitely remember LeRoy Irvin.
You don't get full career stats but you do get the player's top five seasons which is fair enough.  I like the backs.  There's color, random flags I don't quite get, player info, and a nice write-up.  I like these.
Two of the inserts I pulled included Dawning of a Legacy and Chalkboard Legends.  Farve and O'Donnell are the two modern players they included in the set.  O'Donnel was an odd inclusion as there were plenty of great quarterbacks back then to choose from while he was still pretty early in his career and not exactly tearing it up. Elway, Young, Kelly, Aikman.  Maybe "Dawning of a Legacy" doesn't fit all those guys but still, just saying there were other options.
I didn't get to see all of these guys play, like Hall of Fame DB Lem Barney, but it doesn't matter.  I was still excited. Wesley Walker was a receiver I loved back in the day.  He played his entire 13 years with the Jets.
Golden Arms showcases great passers in league history and are good looking cards.
Each pack comes with pogs (two per card).  I'm not a pog guy but I like that these are part of cards, which I like, and didn't come already separated in the pack.
Who doesn't love Art Donovan?  These cards are a great trip down memory lane.  The Jim Thorpe Auckland Collection insert is numbered 015921.  Not sure what the print run is on these but I really like the art and it's easy to forget Thorpe is a football legend as he played from 1920-1928.  It'll be fun showing off the other packs over the coming months.

BREAKDOWN:
30 – Cards
3 – Pogs
3 - Checklists
3 – Golden Arms
2 – Dawning of a Legacy
1 – Chalkboard Legends
1 – Auckland Collection (#)



8 comments:

  1. Those are nice looking cards; I don't think I have ever seen them. However you helped answer a question I had had before. I have a few of the POGs and did not know what set they were from. I like the Bradshaw card by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see if I have a spare Bradshaw for you.

      Delete
  2. I knew of the POG inserts, but had never seen the base cards before. It's pretty good looking set. I'll have to try and get the Tarkenton's at some point

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ted Williams cards are one of those hidden gem companies from the 90's. The inclusion of POGs was unique... and I love that they always had fan favorites of older players on their checklists.

    When we were kids, we'd play football down at the church. And I remember there was this one kid who'd return at least one kick return for a touchdown every time we'd play. And every time he'd celebrate like Billy White Shoes Johnson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who didn't emulate Billy "White Shoes" Johnson at least once?

      Delete
  4. Odd sounding set name...Ted Williams Roger Staubach's NFL. I've seen the pogs around but not the cards...thanks for showing them off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a different name. Just didn't sound right.

      Delete