Sunday, November 21, 2021

Random Wax: 2020 Contenders Football

2020 Contenders Football: You know I enjoy this brand and I understand I may be on an island with that.  I'll kick off this pack, which I picked up in January, with Patrick Mahomes which makes any card look good. He may be struggling some this year but anyone would be more than happy with him under center for their NFL team or fantasy team for that matter.
I do admit this year's design has a glaring issue in that they only leave about one third of the card for the photo.  Fail.  Outside of that I do like the design and that the area behind the player isn't plain white but actually shows the background.
I'll take a Christian McCaffrey card any day though this design is not a winner for me.  I do like the MVP Contenders which is made that much better with having Matty Ice on it. 
Jake Fromm probably won't see the field in any meaningful minutes but he's still shows up on this Rookie of the Year insert.  Always good seeing retired greats in these sets.  Can't see it here but that Mean Joe Green is an emerald parallel.
Even with the design issues this was a fun pack.  Grabbing Mahomes, McCaffrey and Josh Allen make it a win.  

BREAKDOWN:
 22 – Total Cards
1 – Retired Great
1 – Winning Ticket
1 – MVP Contenders
1 – Rookie of the Year Contenders
1 – Legendary Contenders Emerald Parallel


 

2 comments:

  1. I came across a lot of Contenders cards (basketball and football) sitting in dime boxes yesterday, so I don't think you're alone. Personally, they all look the same to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the big complaints about the brand. It works for me so I'm usually okay with it but again that I don't think that is the case for most folks.

      Delete