Friday, December 4, 2020

2020 Topps Update Baseball

 2020 Topps Update Baseball: The Update sets use to be one that was a chore for me.  Some nice shots or editing of players in new unis.  Maybe some nice inserts but not a lot of fun.  But I'm a big All-Star Game guy so those cards have kept me going since they started adding those.  But what about a year where there was no All-Star Game?  Topps did a really good job but including current and past all-stars as well as homerun derby participants.  Win! The Kid starts this pack off with some goodness.
The All-Star Game cards add the All-Star Game logo for that year which is cool.  You'll also find Active Leaders cards in these packs which I enjoy.
The Turkey Red don't thrill me but I get why some folks like them.  Respect for Derek Jeter but he's a guy who doesn't thrill me either...or most Red Sox fans.  That Baez card is a parallel.  What kind of parallel I'll probably never know.  The listings for the set really didn't have anything that fit.

The backs of some Active Leaders inserts.  Also note the "U" with the card number making it easily identifiable as a card from the Update series.
Fun pack of cards. Topps did a good job pivoting this year considering the issues they faced with the delayed season.  Finding retired greats is also a big plus.  You'll see more of these as time goes on.

BREAKDOWN:
34 – Total Cards

5 – RC
4 – Active Leader
3 – All-Star Game
2 – Homerun Derby
2 – Turkey Red 2020
1 – Retired Great
1 – Unknown Parallel
1 – 20 Years of the Captain




2 comments:

  1. This is the 2nd positive review I've read on Update this week. Guess collectors are starting to come around. I like the Turkey Red inserts and I haven't looked but there might be a rookie card I'll eventually seek. But that's about it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not something I'll seek out but given the barren shelves of late it was a welcome sight.

      Delete