Friday, January 7, 2022

1988 Fleer Baseball

1988 Fleer: Grabbed a box of this and a box of 1990 Donruss last year at a card shop in St. Louis.  I think they were $10 a piece.  My buddy and I had gone to the card show in town but I really didn't find much I wanted.  He mentioned the store and it had plenty of old wax for sale which made me really happy.  With shipping these can still be a little pricy.  I'll show the Fleer and Donruss in three pack increments over time.  
This is a design I really like and own the complete set so while I didn't need this box I couldn't resist the fun.  I like those red and blue stripes in the border.  A couple of great closers here with a favorite of mine in Ellis Burks.
Julio Franco when he was still young..maybe only 38 in 1988...I kid of course.  These are so fun to open.  All the players from era that I really liked liked Chuck Finley. 
We need more cards like this.  Random groupings of players.  You'll see as I show off more packs that they put mostly star players together to show them off.  I assume many of the photos came from when players were together at the All-Star Games.
I really like that photo of Rich Gedman.  
Each pack comes with one sticker and I like the designs here.  The team name stickers were always useful.
The backs of the stickers has cool info on the stadiums.  They were pretty cool in an age before the internet when this wasn't readily available at our fingertips.
Velarde had a long career ending with a .276 batting average. Having a Met paired with Dale Murphy really makes this a tough card but I won't burn it, or throw it away...can't do that to Murph.  It'll be fun showing these packs off over time.  So many great players and memories.

BREAKDOWN: 
45 – Total Cards (3 Packs)
3 – Stickers
3 – SuperStar Specials
1 – Checklist
1 – Major League Prospects


 

8 comments:

  1. The Ellis is nice. I remember collecting his rookie cards... but didn't realize he had such a great career until another blogger pointed it out a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a Red Sox guy I was always high on him but even I admit it's easy to be surprised by how good he is. .291 career batting average, .363 on base, 2107 hits...just seems like we missed it when he actually played.

      Delete
  2. That 1988 design holds up well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. That design on new cardboard as an insert would be fun. And maybe it's already been done and I don't remember.

      Delete
  3. You'd probably pay more than $10 just for shipping had you bought them online.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy opening packs of cards that were from my childhood years and the early years of me collecting cards. As a Ripken fan/ collector, both of the cards with him are in my collection. A friend of mine would like the Dale Murphy at the bottom of the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a blast opening these cards. I'll put the Murph with the rest of your cards.

      Delete