Sunday, March 10, 2024

1996 Upper Deck Silver Collection Football (Affordable Breaks)

1996 UD Silver Collection: I chose multiple teams from an Affordable Breaks break of this set.  I wasn't familiar with the set but liked enough of what I saw online to jump in on some teams.  We'll kick it off with Eric Metcalf who was converted to a pass catcher in that high throwing Atlanta offense.
I know those backgrounds look really shiny but they aren't that way in hand.  A bit shiny but the backgrounds are clear and colorful.  Just what the scan did to them.  The Jeff George era in Atlanta was not a good one but in his first two season he did throw for a lot of yards.  Terance Mathis was a really good receiver in his eight years in Atlanta including helping them get to the Super Bowl in 1998.
Andre Reed and the Bills had recently ended their four-year run to consecutive Super Bowls and while winning 10 gems 1995 and 1996 they were on the downturn of that great era.  Would have liked to see a team logo on the card fronts.
I love the Buc's creamsicle unis and many players from that era.  Here we get a couple of linebacker greats from Tampa Bay.  Nice Hardy Nickerson photo.
I'm a fan of Jim Everett and Michael Haynes, who was a speedster for the Falcons prior to playing for New Orleans.
One of my favorite all-time players in John Elway...in a very awkward looking photo.  Upper Deck could have done better and did on that Terrell Davis photo.  Speaking of the Super Bowl Atlanta played in, these three led the Broncos to the lopsided victory in that game that was never in question from almost the get go.
Even though we don't get career stats for players on the backs we do get a nice colorful second photo.  More creamsicle greatness.  I like these.  Where is the team logo on that Everett card though?
A couple of inserts.  I like the die-cut All-NFL team cards.  We also see a League Leaders Bryce Paup card.  Every set should have Leage Leaders cards.  I also like that we get Offensive Line cards.  Those dudes deserve love too.
I like all three of these photos.
Andre Rison was in Cleveland for one not so memorable season but was great for the Falcons in his five years with the team.
I always liked Terry Allen who once led the league with 21 rushing touchdowns as a Redskin.  Upper Deck made up for the poor photo on the front with this John Elway back.  Fun cards.  Check out Affordable Breaks if you aren't already.  Fun cards.


 

4 comments:

  1. The nice photography is very characteristic of UD products back in the 90's. There were some cool action and candid shots in this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the photos. Upper Deck is always good with their photos, I agree.

      Delete
  2. I remember that design well, mainly with their baseball release. Didn't know there were whole packs of the Silver, I thought they were a one per pack insert.

    ReplyDelete